Interested in volunteering in Cambodia? Love kids? Speak fluent English? Then this might be the opportunity for you!
Employer: Indochina Starfish Foundation
Position title: Volunteer English Teaching Assistant
Application date: We are accepting applications throughout 2019
Commences: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please indicate when you are available to start in your CV and Volunteer Enquiry Form below.
Employment type: Volunteer with monthly stipend of US$150
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
ISF provides education, healthcare and sporting opportunities to disadvantaged children in Cambodia. In addition ISF provides support services to the families of the children in our education programme to enable them to break the cycle of poverty they are currently trapped in.
ISF has grown from providing basic education opportunities to 18 children in 2006 to over 600 in 20187. Our plan is to take an additional 80-100 students into our education programme each year. Through the services provided to the families of the children ISF works with, almost 3,000 additional people are supported through our programme.
ISF, in partnership with the Football Federation of Cambodia, plays a key role in providing grassroots footballing opportunities to some of Cambodia’s most disadvantaged children. This programme has grown from 50 players in 2006 to almost 3,800 in 2017 including deaf, hearing impaired players and players with intellectual and physical disabilities.
ISF is seeking to strengthen its English Language Programme for students in our Catch-up Programme and students supported by ISF to attend state school. ISF is looking for highly motivated volunteer English assistants. We require a minimum commitment of three months with longer-term posts welcomed.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
- Planning, preparing and delivering lessons and activities in English with a focus on improving pronunciation and conversation.
- Engaging with our English teachers and students in a fun, interactive way that improves their English speaking, reading and writing level, and pronunciation.
- Implementing creative classroom exercises and educational games.
- Meeting with English Teachers as needed.
- Participating in special events such as class parties, International Children’s Day etc.
- Following the ISF Child Protection policy.
Abilities and Skills
- Native English speaker or a proficiency level/fluent non-native English speaker.
- A positive approach to challenges, and a consultative manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a multicultural team.
- Shows great initiative.
- Ability to plan a variety of activities.
- Compassionate, honest and trustworthy.
- Act as a good role model for the children we serve.
- Ability to commit to a minimum of three months.
No experience is required, however, a willingness to learn is vital and experience of developing English conversation and pronunciation is highly desirable. For the right candidate, this is an opportunity to make a profound, individual contribution to the work undertaken by ISF and gain experience in development and education.
A minimum of 3 hours per day during our working hours of 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Fixed hours are to be agreed with the Country Manager. Minimum commitment of three months.
All international candidates and graduates are considered. All successful applicants will be required to provide references and a background police check in line with ISF’s Child Protection Policy.
We are happy to help you find information and resources on accommodation, travel and living in Cambodia. However, as a small organisation we do not have the capacity to run a full-scale volunteer programme. Candidates are therefore expected to be reasonably independent.
Interested candidates are requested to complete the Volunteer Enquiry Form and send it to Margherita Chiarolanza at email@example.com alongside Curriculum Vitae and any supporting documents.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.